ECHA Planning Workshop on Regulatory Challenges in the Risk Assessment of Nanomaterials
The European Chemicals Agency (ECHA) will hold a topical scientific workshop on October 23-24, 2014, on regulatory challenges in the risk assessment of nanomaterials. The workshop will bring together experts in the field of risk assessment of nanomaterials to discuss and update scientific principles and guidelines for assessing human health and environmental risks of chemicals substances in nanoform. According to ECHA, the workshop will also provide a platform for academia and regulators to address how the main long-term challenges from the regulatory perspective can be reflected and employed in the current and future research topics on nanomaterials. The workshop will cover the following topics:
- Challenges in regulatory risk assessment of nanomaterials;
- Measurement and characterization of nanomaterials;
- Metrology and dose metrics for hazard and exposure assessment throughout the life cycle;
- Environmental fate, persistence and bioaccumulation throughout the life cycle; and
- Read across and categories of nanomaterials.
Participation in the workshop will be by invitation only. Experts in the risk assessment of nanomaterials who wish to participate should express interest by May 15, 2014.