Product stewardship — the safe and effective management of chemicals throughout their lifecycle — is environmentally responsible, and increasingly a foundational competency for any company wishing to commercialize products and to achieve market leadership.
To address public concerns, governmental pressures, and competitive demands, participants in the chemical manufacturing process must be proactive in managing and monitoring their products to minimize risk and safeguard the public from health and environmental hazards. Developing and maintaining responsible product strategies are critical to the success of companies in the chemical space.
Bergeson & Campbell, P.C. (B&C®) is at the forefront of firms assisting clients to evaluate and develop comprehensive product stewardship strategies. We help companies take charge of their products’ lifecycles, avoid business disruption, and minimize health, safety, and environmental risks.
What We Do
- Chemical Product Approval and Review —
- Assist in the approval and regulation of chemical products
- Assist with reporting obligations for new and existing chemicals
- Assist with labeling and notice requirements
- Recordkeeping and Reporting Assistance
- Supply chain evaluation, communication, and compliance planning
- Regular Updates on Legislative and Regulatory Developments
- Marketing and Response
- Strategic Business Advice —
- Map consumer/market demand and legal and industry mandates
- Planning and budgeting
- Additional Sample Matters —
- Export issues
- Inventory issues
B&C professionals have been, are, and will remain actively involved in the regulatory, legal, and public policy spaces where voluntary and enforced stewardship initiatives are evolving so we can keep our finger on the pulse of developments that may impact client companies.
Our team of seasoned legal, scientific, and regulatory professionals includes Lynn L. Bergeson, who has assisted multinational entities to develop and maintain sophisticated product stewardship programs premised on solid, forward thinking corporate principles and newer, greener technologies that offer product performance and smaller environmental footprints. Ms. Bergeson is immediate past President of the Board of Directors of the Product Stewardship and is a highly sought-after speaker and author on emerging product stewardship matters.
Jane S. Vergnes, Ph.D., DABT®, offers clients an agile, multi-disciplinary talent for problem-solving honed during her 25 years of global product stewardship experience with Fortune 500-listed companies. Whether assisting clients with new and existing chemical reviews, risk assessment and hazard communication, or compliance with chemical regulatory programs, Dr. Vergnes deploys the full depth of her scientific, business, and policy knowledge to resolve clients’ challenges. Meibao Zhuang, Ph.D. offers clients in-depth scientific knowledge and exceptional skills in developing global stewardship strategies and business-sensitive compliance solutions.
Catherine M. Croke, DBA, a certified compliance auditor for the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) 9001 and 14001 standards for safety and product stewardship protocols, is a highly experienced professional with more than three decades of success executing product stewardship and regulatory compliance programs within global specialty chemicals and materials companies. Her expertise includes experience with the Systems, Applications and Products (SAP) enterprise resource planning software focusing on maintaining data to support regulatory compliance.
Karin F. Baron, MSPH, has managed global hazard communication programs for major industrial and specialty chemical companies. Scott J. Burya, Ph.D., a regulatory chemist, assists clients in all stages of product development from prototype development and regulatory approvals to end of life product management. Lara A. Hall, M.S., RQAP-GLP, has a wide array of technical and quality assurance experience well-suited to assisting clients in the development of effective product stewardship strategies and ensuring scientific integrity and regulatory compliance through all phases of data development to support new and existing product registrations worldwide. Heather F. Collins, M.S., has an extensive project management background developing and managing Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) compliance matters. She has managed global product safety and hazard communication groups and established training programs to ensure applicable laws and regulations were followed, while supporting new chemical submissions.
B&C partners with our consulting affiliate The Acta Group (Acta®) to provide seamless strategy and support for client product stewardship goals across international operations and a global supply chain. From offices in the United States, England, and Belgium, and in concert with partners in South Korea, China, Mexico, Brazil, and other major markets, Acta professionals offer clients highly skilled, in-country chemical experts familiar with local regulatory practices, customs, and government agencies.
- B&C assisted a multinational company with business planning activities for a substance of very high concern (SVHC).
- B&C assisted a consortium with a high profile substance regarding marketing and response to misinformation.
- Assisted a multinational company with strategic business advice regarding placing high profile products on the market.
- B&C regularly coordinates submission of comments to governments regarding draft published regulatory classifications and restrictions.
- B&C reviews statutory compliance tools for data gathering and data storage for global product markets.
- B&C regularly performs scientific risk assessments of chemicals and test data for regional compliance.
- B&C assists manufacturers with product characterization and optimization.
- B&C assisted a formulator in evaluating product performance to support label claims.
- B&C assisted a consortium with occupational exposure monitoring programs for relevant conditions of use.