Lynn L. Bergeson Will Co-Chair Seminar on Chemical Management Laws
Bergeson & Campbell, P.C. (B&C), B&C Consortia Management, L.L.C. (BCCM), and The Acta Group (Acta) are pleased to announce that on October 26, 2012, Lynn L. Bergeson will Co-Chair a Practising Law Institute seminar entitled “Chemical Management Laws 2012: Business Opportunity, Public Protection or Barrier to Trade?” The seminar will be held in New York City, New York, and there will be groupcasts in Columbus, Ohio; Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania; New Brunswick, New Jersey; Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; and Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. There will also be a live webcast. The seminar is intended for attorneys and other professionals specializing in environmental law and chemical product counseling, including consultants, toxicologists, product stewards, and product marketing professionals. More information is available online.
The growing awareness of the pervasiveness of chemicals and their potential risks poses legal, regulatory, marketing, and technical challenges for manufacturers. This awareness is fueling new regulatory pressures toward “greener” chemicals substitution. The seminar will cover the following topics:
- The new regulatory challenges and anti-chemical smear campaigns that are causing chemicals to be barred from sale and raising fears of the safety of everyday consumer products;
- Chemicals in products — are they safe, what role should the government take in assuring safety, and is there any consistent approach to regulation?
- The greening of consumer products — legal, technical, and social drivers for change. What are the business opportunities and risks?
- Product ingredient disclosure — where is the balance between consumers’ right to know and a legitimate trade secret?
- Managing the risks and benefits of evolving technologies — new business opportunity or just a target for regulation and litigation?
- The growing prominence of trade barriers and international dynamics — are health and environmental restrictions just an excuse to manage trade?
- Insurance and toxic tort litigation developments; and
- Practical tips for staying ahead of the curve.
In addition to Co-Chairing the seminar, Lynn L. Bergeson will also participate in panels on “Domestic Industrial Chemical Regulation: Key Challenges and Opportunities,” and “Charting a Course and Achieving Success in the Marketplace.” Andy Burgess, Director, China Programs, Acta-PLS, will participate in a panel on “Other Global Chemical Programs and Their Growing Trade Influence.”