James V. Aidala
Senior Government Affairs Consultant
Jim Aidala, Senior Government Affairs Consultant with Bergeson & Campbell, P.C. (B&C®) is a critical ally for any client addressing chemical policy, legislative, and related issues. He has been intimately involved with the Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA) and the Federal Insecticide, Fungicide, and Rodenticide Act (FIFRA) legislative reauthorization and key regulatory matters for over four decades. Mr. Aidala brings extensive legislative experience on Capitol Hill and past experience as the senior official at the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) for pesticide and chemical regulation, and provides clients with vital insights into not only relevant current policies of EPA and sister agencies, but also the way these policies have been or are likely to be formulated to help clients more successfully address regulatory matters. This unmatched wealth of experience allows him to explain, interpret, and predict EPA policies to help clients resolve or address their issues.
- Successfully sought EPA’s written clarification of policy interpretation, which saved a client over $900,000 in a commercial dispute between pesticide registrants.
- Convinced EPA that its interpretation of certain food tolerance requirements was incorrect, which otherwise would have eliminated all uses of a client’s product. The product continues to be available on the market today.
- Advised a client regularly over an extended period about EPA actions regarding the possible phase-out of a product, to ensure that an orderly transition to alternative technology was achieved with minimal market disruption.
- Appeared as an expert witness in trials where potential damage claims total hundreds of millions of dollars.
- Routinely counsels clients on how to best approach officials at all levels of regulatory bodies to ensure that the most accurate scientific information and legal arguments are incorporated into pending decisions.
Articles and Writings
Lisa M. Campbell, Timothy D. Backstrom, and James V. Aidala, “EPA’s Evaluation and Determination of Epidemiological Data for Chlorpyrifos,” ABA Section of Environment, Energy, and Resources PCRRTK Newsletter, Volume 18, Issue 5, August 2017.
Lynn L. Bergeson, James V. Aidala, Jr., Charles M. Auer, Richard Engler, and Oscar Hernandez, “Practitioner Insights: Enhancing TSCA Reform Implementation,” Bloomberg BNA Daily Environment Report, August 2, 2017.
Charles M. Auer, James V. Aidala, Lynn L. Bergeson, “TSCA Reform Legislation and Its Workability: Thoughts on Steps to Help Ensure Successful Implementation at the Outset and Over Time,” Bloomberg BNA Daily Environment Report, July 23, 2015.
Lisa M. Campbell, James V. Aidala, Susan Hunter Youngren, “EPA Guidance on Pesticide Drift Will Affect Product Registrations,” CPDA Quarterly, June, 2014.
“WEBINAR — FIFRA Hot Topics,” Bergeson & Campbell, P.C., (April 20, 2022).
“WEBINAR — What to Expect in Chemicals in 2022,” Bergeson & Campbell, P.C., (January 26, 2022).
“What To Expect When You’re Electing (a New President),” Bergeson & Campbell, P.C., (January 28, 2021).
“Pesticides, Farmworkers, Industry, and Environmental Justice,” Environmental Law Institute, (October 1, 2020).